A nimble team—with nationwide influence
Don’t be fooled by our modest size—the Federation team of professionals wields considerable influence across Canada and on Parliament Hill.
To further the multi-faceted Federation cause, our cohesive group administers a wide range of programs and services, balanced with the hosting of high-profile events such as our annual Congress and lecture series on Parliament Hill.
If you have the aptitude to join such a team, return frequently to this page for details on the latest full-time, part-time and contract opportunities with the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences.
We accept resumes on an ongoing basis for potential openings in the future. Please submit your resume and cover letter at https://secure.collage.co/jobs/fhss/19297, and we will keep it on file for 6 months. For any questions, or to request accessibility accommodations, please email us at email@example.com. Do not submit your application by email.
We have an immediate opening for an organized and well-qualified individual to be our new Accounting Clerk and to join our team at the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences in Ottawa, Ontario. This position is part-time, 20 hours a week, and reports to the Accountant.
If you are a results-driven team player, you will thrive in our collaborative environment, where we enjoy our work while achieving a lot for our members. In this role, you will be responsible for the day-to-day bookkeeping of the organisation and assist in month-end and year-end closing, all in keeping with the Federation’s strategic objectives.
The Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research and teaching for the advancement of an inclusive, democratic and prosperous society. With a membership now comprising over 160 universities, colleges and scholarly associations, the Federation represents a diverse community of 91,000 researchers and graduate students across Canada. The Federation organizes Canada’s largest academic gathering, the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, bringing together more than 8,000 participants each year. For more information about the Federation, visit www.ideas-idees.ca .
We are seeking an Accounting Clerk who will be keen to contribute to the success of the organization. Working as part of the Corporate Services team, the Accounting Clerk will be responsible for day-to-day Accounts Payable and Receivable as well as the monthly reconciliation of a number of accounts.
The ideal candidate is a pro-active team player, who has has sound bookkeeping knowledge and experience, and pro-actively completes tasks and deliverables. Candidates for this position should enjoy working in a small office where you enjoy multi-tasking based on organizational priorities.
The position comes offers an hourly salary of $25.00 a participation in the employer’s pension plan, and a generous vacation and holiday policy. The position is part-time, either three full days a week or five (5) half days a week. Extra hours may be required during busy periods. There is also the ability to work in a fun, collegial and supportive work environment, where work-life balance is highly valued!
The office is temporarily closed due to COVID-19. The Accounting Clerk will be working from home until such time as the office reopens. They will be provided with a laptop computer and the necessary software to complete their duties, including the use of Zoom and other online collaboration tools. They will be expected to provide their own Internet connection and telephone in order to stay connected. When the office reopens, they will be expected to work out of the office in downtown Ottawa.
What You Will Do
- Process accounts payable, including employee expense reports, in QuickBooks
- Prepare QuickBooks-generated invoices for membership fees and other revenues as required
- Monitor Aged Accounts Receivable and report to Department Managers
- Reconcile revenue accounts with CRM registration
- Maintain Payee information in Web Banking
- Post journal entries, reconcile accounts (Banks, credit cards)
- Assist in month-end closing process as required
- Assist in year-end audit process as required
- Offer ad hoc assistance to Accountant and/or Director, Corporate Services as required
- Basic office tasks, such as filing, data entry, answering phone, processing mail
- Other duties as required.
What You Need
- Diploma in Accounting or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of two years experience in a similar position.
- Proven technical experience with QuickBooks online.
- Advanced skills with MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook)
- Good written and oral communication skills in English are required.
- Experience with CRM and other SaaS will be considered an asset
- Written and oral communication skills in French are an asset.
- Familiarity with the non-profit/charity sector considered an asset
What You Bring
- High degree of attention to detail
- Positive, professional demeanour, as well as high ethical standards
- Highest degree of privacy and confidentiality; a sense of integrity and discretion is required.
- Shows Initiative, creativity and a proactive attitude towards process improvement.
- Clarity of expression — both in writing and orally.
- A sense of ownership of tasks and the motivation to follow through to achieve personal and team goals.
- Establishment of strong and trusted relationships with colleagues and external partners.
- A sincere respect for the values and differences that all members of a small team bring to an office environment; adaptability to different approaches and a flexibility to move in new directions as needed.
- Commitment to Federation values, vision and direction.
- Seeks to continuously develop skills and knowledge.
- A good sense of humour.
What success looks like
- Payable invoices are paid within 30 days of receipt
- Revenue invoices are sent out promptly and receivables are monitored closely
- Membership and Congress teams get weekly Aged Receivable reports
- Month-end procedures completed and ready for reporting by 15th of the following month
- Successful, error-free year-end audit
If this opportunity intrigues you and relates to your experience, then we want to hear from you. Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit for you.
The Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are seeking applications from employment equity groups including but not limited to: persons with disabilities, and Black, Indigenous and/or persons of colour.
Please submit your cover letter including salary expectations and résumé, by Friday, April 30th, 2021, in our online portal at https://secure.collage.co/jobs/fhss/21524 .
Please note that all applications will be acknowledged but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. You must be legally allowed to work in Canada in order to be eligible for this position.
The Federation is committed to accessibility. Accommodations are available upon request for applicants taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
For any questions or to request accessibility accommodations, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated 2021-03-30