A nimble team—with nationwide influence
Don’t be fooled by our modest size—the Federation team of professionals wields considerable influence across Canada and on Parliament Hill.
To further the multi-faceted Federation cause, our cohesive group administers a wide range of programs and services, balanced with the hosting of high-profile events such as our annual Congress and lecture series on Parliament Hill.
If you have the aptitude to join such a team, return frequently to this page for details on the latest full-time, part-time and contract opportunities with the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences, as well as co-op and paid internship positions.
We have an immediate opening for a talented, energetic and member-focused individual to be our new Communications Officer and to join our team at the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences. This position reports to the Manager of Communications.
If you are a results-driven, team player, you will thrive in our collaborative environment, where we enjoy our work while achieving a lot for our members. In this role, you manage and develop systems to engage and communicate with member organizations, all in keeping with the Federation’s strategic objectives.
The Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research and teaching for the advancement of an inclusive, democratic and prosperous society. With a membership now comprising over 160 universities, colleges and scholarly associations, the Federation represents a diverse community of 91,000 researchers and graduate students across Canada. The Federation organizes Canada’s largest academic gathering, the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, bringing together more than 8,000 participants each year. For more information about the Federation, visit www.ideas-idees.ca.
The Communications Officer will work closely with the Manager of Member Engagement and Communications and all members of the organization to plan, design and implement activities aimed at enhancing the Federation’s visibility and public profile in line with the overall strategic goals of the Federation. Activities will be diverse and include writing for online and print publications, planning long-term and short-term communications projects, particularly the annual Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, undertaking design work and managing relationships with partners and suppliers.
The ideal candidate is bilingual, understands the environment within which the Federation works, and is an energetic team player who can deliver high quality products in a timely manner. The successful candidate will have solid all-round communications skills and experience.
There will be domestic travel required up to two weeks at a time at least once per year.
Duties and responsibilities
- Write, edit and produce a broad range of communications and marketing products in both English and French, including written print, online materials and email campaigns, particularly as they relate to the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Manage relationships with suppliers (e.g., designers, printers), internal and external content writers in order to deliver high quality products on time and on budget.
- Execute communications plans for the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, the Awards to Scholarly Publications Program, the Big Thinking lecture series, Federation policy projects and other events/activities as required.
- Perform basic graphic design for online and print materials and work with external contractors on more complex design projects from brief to sign-off.
- Write and post new content in English and French to the Federation’s websites.
- Consistently measure the success of communications and marketing activities against an agreed-upon set of metrics on a monthly or quarterly basis (as needed).
- Advise on emerging marketing and communications tools, tactics, technologies and best practices to ensure efficient and effective communications operations.
- Assist in media relations and social media as needed.
- Other duties as required.
Each individual within the Federation has a key role in contributing to the success of the organization. In addition to performing specific tasks within functional areas it is critical that each individual participate in cross-functional work teams that will allow the Federation to maximize the effort and talents of each team member. The work teams will change over time as projects are completed and new ones arise; as such, the duties of any one individual, with respect to work teams, will necessarily change accordingly.
Education and experience
- A post-secondary degree in communications or other related discipline
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in communications and marketing, ideally in a not-for-profit environment
Skills and abilities
- Bilingualism is essential; excellent written and oral communication skills in English and French.
- Capacity to revise French translations is a significant asset.
- Writing and editing of documents for various audiences.
- Advanced computer skills to permit ease with uploading content to websites, social media channels, e-newsletter preparation, editing and document layout.
- Experience in Drupal and/or WordPress strongly preferred.
- Strong user skills in Microsoft Office products, and basic design skills in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Creative Suite and Constant Contact (or similar platform).
- Must have experience in building and managing relationships with suppliers.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks, juggle deadlines and appropriately prioritize activities in a fast-paced environment.
- Detail-oriented, with a strong focus on excellence, organization, planning and follow-up.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team.
- Entrepreneurial and proactive, willing to roll-up his/her sleeves and make things happen.
- Takes initiative and ownership of tasks, and is motivated to follow through to completion, with close attention to detail.
- Gets personal satisfaction from producing high quality results that have a positive impact on a small, ambitious organization.
- Can establish strong and trusted relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Respects the values and differences that all members of a small team bring to an office environment.
- Is adaptable to different approaches and flexible to move in new directions as needed.
- Commitment to Federation values, vision and direction
If this opportunity intrigues you and relates to your experience, then we want to hear from you. Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit for you.
Please submit your cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org by February 20, 2019.
This position is available immediately and as such, interviews will begin right away. If you feel you are the right candidate and have what it takes to be successful at the Federation, do not delay.
This position will remain posted until the position is filled. Please note that all applications will be acknowledged but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences respects, appreciates and encourages diversity. Applications from all qualified individuals are encouraged. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.