Submission to the Cultural Policy Review "Canadian Content in a Digital World":
In September 2016, the Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage launched consultations regarding Canada’s cultural policy. Following input from diverse expertise in the membership, the Federation has submitted recommendations to strengthen Canada’s cultural policy, with a focus on a foundational investments to strengthen the multiple connections between research, the creative economy and democracy in an increasingly digital world.
- Read our submission to the consultation "Canadian Content in a Digital World: Letting in the light: The contributions of the humanities and social sciences to Canadian culture (Coming soon)
Fundamental Science Review submission 2016:
In June 2016, the Honourable Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Science launched an independent review of federal funding for fundamental science. Following consultations with members, the Federation has submitted recommendations for how to improve the Canadian research system, with a particular focus on how to strengthen the important contributions of research in the humanities and social sciences to help produce the knowledge and understanding Canada needs for a prosperous, inclusive and democratic future.
- Read our submission to the Fundamental Science Review: Grasping the complexity of things: Building a federal research system to serve all Canadians.
Pre-budget submission 2017:
- Budget 2017 Consultations: Submissions to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Finance
- Federation blog post
Response to Federal Budget 2016:
- Media release: Federation applauds largest annual increase in discovery research in 10 years
- Briefing note for members of the Federatin for the Humanities and Social Sciences
- Federation blog post
Pre-budget submission 2016:
Response to Federal Budget 2015:
- Media release: Federal budget 2015 invests in research and innovation
- Briefing note for members of the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences
Response to Canada First Research Excellence Fund and 2014 Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy:
From time to time, the Federation is invited to develop and submit briefs as part of various consultations on a range of topics of interest to the research community. These documents are developed with input from the Federation Board of Directors and from its membership.
These submissions to groups such as the House of Commons Standing Committee on Industry, Science and Technology or party caucuses on post-secondary education, help promote constructive dialogue with Canadians by showing the tangible benefits of a healthy social sciences and humanities research and training enterprise.
- Submission to the Advisory Panel on Canada’s International Education Strategy international Education Strategy (PDF 629 KB), November 2011
- Submission to the Expert Panel, Review of Federal Support to Research and Development (PDF) February 2011
- Federal Brief - Digital Economy Consultation (PDF) July 9, 2010
- Submission to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Industry, Science and Technology: Regarding Mobilizing Science and Technology to Canada's Advantage (PDF 65KB) April 2008
Each year, the Federation is actively involved in the consultation surrounding the preparation of the federal budget. Its contribution normally takes the form of a written submission and a presentation to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Finance.