Mara Juneau, Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences
Congress Expo is an added bonus to the already bustling atmosphere of Congress. Expo offers something for everyone; it is your chance to meet and network with leading scholars, explore the latest in scholarly publishing, attend thought-provoking discussions, presentations, book launches and signings.
Every year publishers and exhibitors come from all across the country to showcase literary works and services selectively chosen for Congress attendees.
Here are our top reasons to attend Expo:
- Explore the latest in scholarly publishing and get your summer reading in the bag before you hit the beach!
- Meet, chat and network with the greatest scholarly minds in Canada
- Are you an author yourself? Come discuss your work with others and see your books sparkle on the shelves
- Do you have a book in the works? Meet and discuss your work with editors from all of Canada’s university presses
- Meet representatives from Congress sponsors like SSHRC, Mitacs, Research Matters and many more—this is a great time to have your questions about funding and programs answered
- Visit the Federation booth to learn more about the small but dynamic team that helps organize Congress and learn about the work we do to promote the humanities and social sciences in Canada
- Visit all the exhibitors present and load your bag with swag!
You can also take a minute to check out Café Stop, a special pop-up style café organized by the University of Ottawa, where you can kick up your feet with a hot cup of coffee, a sugary treat and your (newly purchased) book! Or you can pull out your laptop and work on the paper presentation you should have finished yesterday…
I myself like to pick up University memorabilia to remember the year. Congress 2015 will be the sixth Congress I will attend and I will be stopping by the University of Ottawa Bookstore booth at Expo where I will show my badge for a 15% discount and add to my growing collection of t-shirts and mugs. You can never have too many vessels for coffee!
If you are really ambitious, you can visit the University of Ottawa Bookstore in the Jock Turcot University Centre for a 25% discount on all clothing. But I digress…
See you at Expo!