Board of Directors Elections 2018
General Assembly (GA) representatives and Board members only.
The Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences is now accepting nominations for:
- President-Elect (1 position)
- Director, Equity and Diversity (1 position)
- Director, Teaching and Learning (1 position – incumbent eligible for re-election)
The Nominating Committee of the Federation will meet following the close of nominations to consider candidates for these positions, and will put forward a slate for election.
Nominations can be made only by current General Assembly representatives and by members of the Board of Directors.
Nominations, elections and meetings schedule
- Nominations open: Monday, January 22, 2018 at 12:00 pm (EST)
- Nominations close: Friday, February 2, 2018 at 12:00 pm (EST)
- Online elections will take place from March 1 to 15, 2018
Note: Newly-elected Board members will be invited to attend the May 27, 2018 Board meeting, to be held in Regina.
Submitting a nomination
Who can be nominated?
Nominees must be
- affiliated with a learned society, association, university or college which is a member of the Federation,
- either currently or previously engaged in teaching and/or research in the humanities or social sciences.
Who can nominate?
Nominations can be made only by current General Assembly representatives and by members of the Board of Directors. Since General Assembly representatives represent an association or institution, they should consult with the appropriate people within their association or institution to identify the names of individuals to put forward as nominees for the open positions.
If you are not a General Assembly representative but wish to put your name or someone else’s name forward for election, contact Lanor Mallon for further information.
How many nominations can I submit?
As a General Assembly representative, or as a member of the Board of Directors, you can nominate one person, including yourself, per open position. Two nominations for the same nominee are required to be a candidate.
How do I submit a nomination?
Each General Assembly representative and each member of the current Board of Directors should have received a login access profile in a recent email message. If you have not received this information, please contact Lanor Mallon.
Click here to access the nomination form.
What is the role of the Nominating Committee and who is on it?
The Nominating Committee is appointed by the Board of Directors to:
- ensure that the proper electoral procedures, as provided for in the Federation’s by-laws and policies, are observed,
- review all nominations to ensure that nominations to the Board reflect the diverse composition of the Federation in all respects (including but not limited to geography, gender, language, governance and policy experience),
- ensure that nominations for Directors are properly split as required by section 5.02b of the by-law between each of a) learned societies, and b) universities and colleges.
Members of the 2018 Nominating Committee are:
- Carmen Charette, Chair (University of Victoria)
- Michael Sinatra (Université de Montréal)
- Lisa Young (University of Calgary)
Gabriel Miller, Executive Director of the Federation, has been designated by the Board of Directors as Returning Officer.
Next steps for nominees
What documents do nominees need to provide?
Once an individual is nominated, they will be contacted by the Returning Officer to submit the following documents:
- a brief biography,
- a short statement indicating why they are interested in the position, and
- written consent confirming that the nominee will stand for election to the position for which they have been nominated.
Upon receipt of these documents, the Returning Officer will consider the candidacy valid and add the candidate’s name to the election ballot.
What are acclamations?
In the event that there is only one candidate declared for an open position, that candidate will be acclaimed and there will be no election for that position.
When will the elections take place?
Elections will take place online from March 1 at 12:00 p.m. EST to March 15, 2018 at 12:00 p.m. EST. An election announcement email will be sent to all eligible voters.