A nimble team—with nationwide influence
Don’t be fooled by our modest size—the Federation team of professionals wields considerable influence across Canada and on Parliament Hill.
To further the multi-faceted Federation cause, our cohesive group administers a wide range of programs and services, balanced with the hosting of high-profile events such as our annual Congress and lecture series on Parliament Hill.
If you have the aptitude to join such a team, return frequently to this page for details on the latest full-time, part-time and contract opportunities with the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences, as well as co-op and paid internship positions.
We have an immediate opening for a talented, energetic and member-focused individual to be our new Manager, Communications and Membership and to join our team at the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences in Ottawa, Ontario. This position reports to the Director, Membership Engagement and Communications, and is a member of the senior management team.
If you are a results-driven team player, you will thrive in our collaborative environment, where we enjoy our work while achieving a lot for our members. In this role, you will provide leadership and action on communications and member relations activities, all in keeping with the Federation’s strategic objectives.
The Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research and teaching for the advancement of an inclusive, democratic and prosperous society. With a membership now comprising over 160 universities, colleges and scholarly associations, the Federation represents a diverse community of 91,000 researchers and graduate students across Canada. The Federation organizes Canada’s largest academic gathering, the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, bringing together more than 8,000 participants each year. For more information about the Federation, visit www.ideas-idees.ca.
We are seeking a Manager, Communications and Membership who will play a key role in contributing to the success of the organization. Along with a three-person team, the Manager is responsible for leading initiatives to engage with members and for planning and implementing communications and related promotional activities, often in conjunction with multiple Federation stakeholders including member universities and scholarly associations, research communities, funding agencies, government and media.
This position comes with a competitive compensation package including health/dental benefits, participation in the employer’s pension plan, and a generous vacation and holiday policy. The Federation is a collegial and supportive work environment, where work-life balance is highly valued!
There will be travel required up to two weeks during the annual Congress event, and potentially overnight stays on a periodic infrequent basis.
What You Will Do
- Provide strategic and proactive leadership for communications and member relations activities at the Federation.
- Develop communications and marketing initiatives and programs targeted to various stakeholder groups such as scholarly associations and universities, as well as funding bodies, NGOs, public institutions, federal government departments and Members of Parliament.
- Develop and infuse the Federation’s brand through all messaging and media, ensuring consistent look and feel in the promotion of the Federation’s corporate image.
- Manage the implementation of all aspects of the communication activities including, the drafting, editing, production and distribution of a wide range of high quality materials.
- Oversee strategies to establish a strong online presence for the Federation, using both conventional and emerging communication technologies and tools; planning and implementing promotional activities and events.
- Develop strong relationships with the media. Develop and implement a media relations plan.
- Develop key messages notably about the contributions of social sciences and humanities to the public good, which appropriately position the Federation within the current and emerging research, learning and innovation landscape.
- Oversee the tracking, measurement and evaluation of the effectiveness of all communications and membership work, where the results will be reported to appropriate audiences and used to develop future plans and activities. Make presentations to the Director, Member Engagement and Communications, Executive Director, Board and other committees as appropriate.
- Lead in the development and oversight of new and existing initiatives, services and programs that serve the needs of the Federation’s scholarly associations, institutions, affiliates, as well as key stakeholder groups.
- Develop strategies to encourage the recruitment and retention of members.
- Lead and manage the onboarding of institutional and scholarly association members.
- Provide strategic oversight of membership-related technological systems (i.e., Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Membership Management System).
- Supervise website content and website architecture, providing advanced support and guidance to other website users.
- Manage the communications and membership team and ensure that resources are used efficiently to maximize impact and results while providing support through collaboration, mentoring, and motivation.
What You Need
- A relevant university degree (from communications/journalism to philosophy, languages to political sciences), coupled with at least 7 years of related experience.
- Solid track record of at least 2 years in managing a high performing team of staff and external contractors to execute work plans.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and constructively to position an organization, event or idea within the public environment and among decision makers.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing comprehensive marketing and communications programs, products and activities with a strong focus on results and metrics.
- Demonstrated experience in member relations and the management of member programs and services.
- Demonstrated experience working with a website content management system (CMS), preferably in Drupal, and managing web infrastructure, domains, and hosting.
- Exceptional writing, editing and presentation skills with very strong attention to detail and specific experience with developing communications products in both print and electronic media.
- Very strong knowledge and experience with the newest digital technologies to engage audiences in the most effective manner.
What You Bring
- Bilingualism is mandatory; excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and French.
- High ethical standards and a desire to work with like-minded high achievers.
- Entrepreneurial and proactive, willing to roll-up your sleeves and make things happen.
- Expresses thoughts, ideas, vision in a clear and compelling manner both written and orally and has a collaborative manner to seek out the opinions of others with a view to finding the best solutions for the organization.
- Takes ownership of tasks and is motivated to follow through to completion.
- Gets personal satisfaction of producing high quality results that have a positive impact on the organization.
- Can establish strong and trusted relationships with colleagues and external partners.
- Respects the values and differences that all members of a small team bring to an office environment; is adaptable to different approaches and flexible to move in new directions as needed.
- Values the contributions of all members of the team and seeks opportunities to help others to succeed.
- Willingness to continuously develop skills and knowledge.
- Inspires others to excel.
- A good sense of humor and humility.
- Your past team members acknowledge your leadership style and would work for you again.
What success looks like
- You can learn the role and deliver on existing priorities and deliverables.
- Our member clients are engaged, satisfied and understand the value that the Federation brings to the table.
- You champion collaborative relationships and seek win-win outcomes for colleagues, members and partners.
- You lead your team in delivering high-quality communications products and strategies that are public facing and member focussed.
- You create processes that enable knowledge sharing and best practices, and clearly and confidently articulate ideas and plans to convey key messages.
- You understand how to manage exchanges with and expectations of stakeholders with divergent interests and needs.
- Your work showcases a consistent commitment to supporting colleagues with expert communications knowledge.
If this opportunity intrigues you and relates to your experience, then we want to hear from you. Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit for you.
Please submit your resumé and cover letter, including salary expectations, to: firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1, 2019.
This position will remain posted until the position is filled, and applications will be assessed on a rolling basis as they are submitted. Please note that all applications will be acknowledged but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. You must be legally allowed to work in Canada in order to be eligible for this position.
The Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences respects, appreciates and encourages diversity. Applications from all qualified individuals are encouraged. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.