A nimble team—with nationwide influence
Don’t be fooled by our modest size—the Federation team of professionals wields considerable influence across Canada and on Parliament Hill.
To further the multi-faceted Federation cause, our cohesive group administers a wide range of programs and services, balanced with the hosting of high-profile events such as our annual Congress and lecture series on Parliament Hill.
If you have the aptitude to join such a team, return frequently to this page for details on the latest full-time, part-time and contract opportunities with the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences, as well as co-op and paid internship positions.
Application deadline extended
The Communications Officer will work closely with the Manager of Communications and all members of the organization to plan, design and implement activities aimed at enhancing the Federation’s visibility and public profile in line with the overall strategic goals of the Federation. Activities will be diverse and include writing for online and print publications, planning long-term and short-term communications projects, particularly the annual Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, undertaking design work and managing relationships with partners and suppliers.
The ideal candidate understands the environment within which the Federation works and is an energetic team player who can deliver high quality products in a timely manner. The successful candidate will have solid all-round communications skills and experience, including good technical abilities in Microsoft Office products, preferably also some basic design software skills.
There will be travel required up to two weeks at a time at least once per year.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write, edit and produce a broad range of communications and marketing products in both English and French, including written print, online materials and email campaigns, particularly as they relate to the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Manage relationships with suppliers (e.g., designers, printers), internal and external content writers in order to deliver high quality products on time and on budget.
- Execute communications plans for the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, the Awards to Scholarly Publications Program, the Big Thinking lecture series, Federation policy projects and other events/activities as required.
- Perform basic graphic design for online and print materials and work with external contractors on more complex design projects from brief to sign-off.
- Write and post new content in English and French to the website for the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Consistently measure the success of communications and marketing activities against an agreed-upon set of metrics on a monthly or quarterly basis (as needed) for the Congress website.
- Advise on emerging marketing and communications tools, tactics, technologies and best practices to ensure efficient and effective communications operations.
- Assist in media relations and social media as needed.
- Other duties as required.
Each individual within the Federation has a key role in contributing to the success of the organization. In addition to performing specific tasks within functional areas it is critical that each individual participate in cross-functional work teams that will allow the Federation to maximize the effort and talents of each team member. The work teams will change over time as projects complete and new projects arise; as such the duties of any one individual, with respect to work teams, will necessarily change accordingly.
Education and Experience:
- A post-secondary degree in communications or other related discipline
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in communications and marketing, ideally in a not-for-profit environment
Skills and Abilities:
- Bilingualism is essential; excellent written and oral communication skills in English and French.
- Capacity to revise French translations a significant asset.
- Writing and editing of documents for various audiences.
- Advanced computer skills to permit ease with uploading content to websites, social media channels, e-newsletter preparation, editing and document layout.
- Experience in Drupal and/or WordPress strongly preferred.
- Strong user skills in Microsoft Office products, and basic design skills in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Creative Suite and Constant Contact (or similar platform).
- Must have experience in building and managing relationships with suppliers.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks, juggle deadlines and appropriately prioritize activities in a fast-paced environment.
- Detail-oriented, with a strong focus on excellence, organization, planning and follow-up.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team.
- Entrepreneurial and proactive, willing to roll-up his/her sleeves and make things happen.
- Takes ownership of tasks, takes initiatives and is motivated to follow through to completion, with close attention to detail.
- Gets personal satisfaction from producing high quality results that have a positive impact on a small, ambitious organization.
- Can establish strong and trusted relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Respects the values and differences that all members of a small team bring to an office environment.
- Is adaptable to different approaches and flexible to move in new directions as needed.
- Commitment to Federation values, vision and direction
The Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
To apply, send a résumé and cover letter, including salary expectations, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 pm on Friday, September 8, 2017. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate accepts an offer.
No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences respects, appreciates and encourages diversity. Applications from all qualified individuals are encouraged.