Every year the Federation and the host university work together to improve the sustainability of Congress. Watch for further information on how UVic plans to make Congress 2013 a low carbon, green conference and how you can help.
A Sustainable Congress
The University of Victoria strives to model sustainability – applying ingenuity to find new and creative solutions and practices that can serve as examples for others. They are a carbon neutral campus and estimate that 72% of all food waste on campus is composted.
On-campus initiatives for sustainability include:
- 35 on-campus composting stations
- Over 100 recycling stations conveniently located inside buildings across campus
- A portable water bottle filling station and more than 50 retrofitted water fountains for easy refilling of personal water bottles
Sustainability Tips for Congress 2013
- Minimize wasted paper by offering the option of viewing documents online
- Bring your own reusable water bottles, coffee mugs and plastic name tags
- Use public transit to get to campus from downtown, or rent a bike
- Make use of the recycling bins available in all buildings – sort mixed paper and bottles/cans/hard plastics
- Watch for compost bins and totes around campus – UVic’s system accepts ALL food waste, paper cups, napkins and paper towels
- Turn off the lights when you leave a classroom or lecture theatre